The Secret in the Cliffs documents the adventures of a boy and his best friend. Kyle, a lover of archeology, spends his spare time exploring the caves in the cliffs above the beaches in his town. There, he makes a discovery that motivates him to explore deeper and deeper into the caves. The desire to explore increases when Kyle realizes that he is being watched… and followed.
Kristin Tucker takes her reader on an archeological expedition of monumental proportions. Through her use of detail, she allows the reader to join Kyle & Kaitlin as they climb, dig, and swim their way through the caves. She invites us along as they make known the secret in the cliffs.
- This is the first middle-grade novel I have read where the main character is so into archeology.
- There is a lot of really good upper-level vocabulary (My hubby says I’m a sucker for vocabulary!)
- Kyle doesn’t ever reveal his adventures or the dangers to his parents.
Lesson Plan Ideas:
- Watch an archeological dig on youtube or the history channel.
- Look up examples of hieroglyphics in a book or online.
- Create a treasure hunt/ archeological dig for your reader.
- Write a dialogue between a news reporter and Kyle.
- Create a poster for the museum advertising the skeleton display.
*The author reached out to me to review her book and supplied the novel.